Assembly Bill 104 High School Grade Change Process

Assembly Bill 104 has established some provisions for students and families to reduce some of the difficulties incurred by students and families throughout the COVID Pandemic.  Assembly Bill 104 provides a process for retention and grade alteration from letter grade to pass/no-pass.  

AB 104 

Section 2 – Grading requirements for high school students in the 2020-21 academic year  

This section applies to pupils enrolled in high school in the 2020-21 academic year.  

This section requires LEAs to grant a request from the parent/guardian/education rights holder of a pupil who was enrolled in high school during the 2020-21 academic year (or the pupil, if 18 years of age or older) to have a letter grade earned for any course, as reflected on the pupil’s transcript, changed to a Pass or No Pass grade.   The LEA may not limit the number or type of courses eligible for the grade change.  

The bill requires the California State University to accept for admission purposes, without prejudice, a transcript with a Pass or No Pass grade instead of a letter grade (pursuant to the provisions of this bill) for an applicant who had enrolled in a California high school during any school year from the 2020-21 school year to the 2023-24 school year, inclusive.   

The bill encourages the University of California and private postsecondary educational institutions to do the same.  By July 15, the University of California and private postsecondary educational institutions are required to notify the California Department of Education if the institution will comply with this provision.  

High School Parents are welcome to completely fill out the form for a grade alteration from a letter grade to a pass/no-pass grade.  Once completed, high school parents are to mail the grade changes to their site principal at for processing of the request.


Pass/No-Pass Change Form


Request Form

Assembly 104 Bill